Leon D. Bass Of Counsel
LEON D. BASS, Of Counsel, works with businesses large and small across multiple industries and has built an exceptional intellectual property practice that blends traditional IP and entertainment law counsel and assessment with IP and related business and entertainment litigation. Now in his 15th year of practice, Leon has built a solid reputation locally and nationally for his legal counsel in trademark, copyright, entertainment law, and general business transactions as well as litigation in those arenas. Leon has been twice named a Super Lawyer Rising Star. Leon has a proven track record counseling on intellectually property matters. He also routinely advises artists, music venues, promoters, record labels, publishers, photographers, and authors on intellectual property issues and frequently successfully defends copyright and trademark infringement actions. A musician himself, Leon performs in the local Columbus band, Grassinine and is a founder of the annual “Music in the Round” event which benefits the Marafiki AIDS Orphanage in Nairobi, Kenya. Leon is also an adjunct Professor at Otterbein University, where he teaches a course in Music and Arts law. Representative Experience
- Successful defense of trademark infringement and USPTO opposition proceedings brought by large corporation in federal district court (Texas) against local business client.
- Obtained judgment in favor of client invalidating Plaintiff’s long owned and well known industry specific registered trademark, receiving national trade press.
- Successfully obtained dismissal in defense of multi-million dollar breach of concert promotion agreement for U.S. national “Rock Never Stops” tour, featuring Quiet Riot, Ted Nugent, Night Ranger and Slaughter.
- Successfully defended multiple law suits for copyright infringement and breach of contract by national recording artist against our record label client.
- Successfully represented a large concert venue in a civil fraud case.
- Representation of commercial photographer in copyright infringement case against large national companies.
- Expert Witness in copyright and trademark case against Microsoft.
- Successful representation of clients in purchase of large downtown office buildings.
Achievements and Awards Listed as Ohio Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2011, 2012) Professional Memberships and Community Service
- Columbus Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee
- Appointed by the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands and the President of Virgin Islands Bar Association to the 2013-2014 Virgin Islands Ethics and Grievances Committee
- Virgin Islands Bar Association; Chair (2014), Member, Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee (2010-2013)
- Capitol Square Rotary; President and Board of Directors, multiple committee leadership roles
- Musicon, LLC, President and Chairman of the Board
- Hocking College, Board of Advisors – Music Program
- GrooveU – Advisory Committee
- Columbus Community Festival, Board Member, Entertainment Selection Committee
- Music in the Round, Founder and Chairperson of annual charity concert
- Greater Columbus Local Music Awards; Founder and Executive Producer
Speeches and Publications
- Editor, “Making It” by Matthew Crumpton, Esq. and Tristan Kinsley (book on music industry)
- Author, “ Everything You Need to Know about Trademark Protection and Registration”
- Author, “Why You Can’t Copyright Your Song If You Have Already Written It!”
- Author, “Takin’ Care of Business: A Band’s Basic Business Guide”
- Author, “Will You Face The Music? Music Downloading 101”
- Author, “When to Consider Trademark Protection and Registration” CWS Newsletter, Vol. 1, 2009
- Author, “Brand due diligence saves millions” Columbus Business First, May 14, 2010
- Speaking engagements include: The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law Sports & Entertainment Law Association; Capital University Law School Sports & Entertainment Law Association; Midpoint Music Festival; AllBiz Music Conference; Undercurrents
Other Professional Experience
- Adjunct Professor, Otterbein University (2011): Instructor of course in Music Law; extensive coverage of copyright law, trademark law, contract law as well as music industry legal and business issues applicable to recording, publishing and touring
- Ohio Attorney General, Columbus
- Rhino Records, Legal and Business Affairs, Los Angeles, CA
- Famous Music Publishing Company, Legal Affairs, Los Angeles, CA